Welcome...

Adam_Reynolds_small I'm Adam Reynolds, a producer, writer, and surfer based in Los Angeles. I use this space to catalog my media consumption, post research and pay tribute to the people and events that inspire my career. I can also be found on Twitter, or for examples of my production work, visit here. Feel free to email me with any questions or comments. Thanks for visiting.

April 30, 2009

GoPro Surf Hero FAIL!

Once again, failing to thoroughly read directions has cost me precious material.

Undoubtedly, one of my biggest character flaws is that I hate reading instructions. It’s bitten me in the ass before, and it'll, more than likely, continue to bite me in the ass in the future. That is, unless I start to address the problem.

In this particular instance it was a Friday night and I was gearing up to use my new GoPro Surf Hero camera (a miniature waterproof video camera) for the first time. With fresh batteries installed, I proudly mounted the camera at the nose of one of my surfboards. I had checked the surf report earlier that day, and knew that Saturday’s dawn patrol was going to be epic – Surfline forecasted a solid SW swell along the SoCal coast. Fair – Good conditions. 4 – 5 foot swells, with a timely period and a rising tide. In other words, at the right break, set waves would flaunt faces from 4 to 8 feet, not bad for the first time back in the water since February. I couldn't wait.

I set my alarm for 4:45am, awoke promptly, and was out the door by 5:15am. The drive to Secret Spot was uneventful, in fact, it was actually quite peaceful. I arrived at 6am and snapped this picture. The sun was rising, the waves were pumping and I couldn't wait to hit the water. I suited up in my 4/3, made the trek down the cliffs, and embraced what was unfolding before my eyes.


I pressed record and paddled out into the lineup. I got what I thought to be some pretty awesome footage. However, when I returned home later that day, I was greatly disappointed with my results. Long story short, the GoPro Surf Hero was a FAIL. Apparently you're supposed to use Lithium batteries and not Alkaline, as Alkaline apparently drops voltage in cold temperatures. But of course, not having read the directions, I didn't know this simple fact.

How does this translate? Simply; User Error. Let's just say that my camera kept shorting out and shutting off while I was in the water. The longest water clip I got was about 3 seconds in duration. The only real footage I scored was me paddling out. With remorse, all I can say is "Groovy." Guess you'll have to wait until my next surf to see how the camera really works. Sorry to disappoint. Oh, and yes, I bought Lithium batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment