Welcome...

Adam_Reynolds_small I'm Adam Reynolds, a producer, writer, and surfer based in Los Angeles. I use this space to catalog my media consumption, post research and pay tribute to the people and events that inspire my career. I can also be found on Twitter, or for examples of my production work, visit here. Feel free to email me with any questions or comments. Thanks for visiting.

July 11, 2009

Watching...

Yeah, yeah...I've been slacking. If it's any consolation though, I've been reading more. Not just books, but also scripts, television treatments, and college course readers on documentary filmmaking. Truth is, the TV development world has been wearing me thin, even leaving me down at times. But we, as a team, push forward. There's light at the end of the tunnel.

I've been fortunate enough to be studying under the tutelage of an incredibly well-versed team of professionals from USC's prestigious Annenberg School for Communication. Though the documentary world is a vast departure from my undergrad film studies at Syracuse University, the first-hand, educational experience has been unmatched. The work environment is straight forward and very hands on. The best part, I'm learning how to tell stories.

That being said, let me segue into my movie consumption. Here are two of the three films I watched during the month of July. I decided to take a new approach when writing about each film. Rather than limit myself to writing reviews, I've decided to incorporate personal history into the equation. A sign of my investment in this business. Enjoy!

The Sting The Sting. A classic. Plain and simple. My Dad bought this movie as a Christmas present for my brother and I a few years back. He insisted it was another film for the Boardhead Brothers 'must see' collection. Truthfully, my brother and I scoffed at the notion. "This old film?" we thought. What we didn't realize was that a good story, no matter the year published (or produced), can withstand the scrutiny of time.

Now, as I revisit The Sting (for the first time in many years) I understand why my Dad insisted we add it to our collection. I can honestly say that, A) I was an asshole for not trusting my Dad and, B) this movie is now one of my all-time favorite movies. Why? Because it's got a kick ass story!


Next is...

Garbage Warrior Garbage Warrior. I watched this documentary as research for a project we were developing at work. Unfortunately for us, another production company was quicker than we were and was already in the process of turning Michael Reynolds and his work as a Biotecture Engineer into a TV series. Though a difficult truth, it's often the reality of how the television business works. Take it with a grain of salt and move forward.

Business aside though, Garbage Warrior explores the bizarre story of Michael Reynolds - a renegade architect - who turns automobile tires, soda cans, and beer bottles into fully-sustainable, off-the-grid housing. Earthships, as these unique homes are called, are capable of maintaining consistent internal temperatures (roughly 70-75 degrees) despite the vast temperature fluctuation of New Mexico's seasons. In the words of Dan Birman, "Way Cool!"

More information on Michael Reynolds and his Earthship society can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment